[AusNOG] Cisco 887VA vs Cisco 867VAE

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:35:58 EST 2015

The 867VAE is fine for 100mbps NBN connections.

On VDSL2 connections in ideal conditions, it is good for ~97M sync speed
with ~82M of download throughput using NAT/ACLs/PPP. NAT barely makes a
difference.

The "K9" model has some more CPU power than the not-K9 model, this is
possibly why you'll see conflicting test results.

The other cool thing the 867VAE can do is boot a config from USB. This
gives you an option to provide a "rescue disk" for end users if they or
their local IT guy go too far with their config experiments.

John

On 2 November 2015 at 23:58, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at theispguy.com>
wrote:

> Ruben,
>
> Excellent details... but still... the throughput still isn't very capable.
>

> ...Skeeve
>

> --
>
> Skeeve Stevens - The ISP Guy - Internet Provider SME
>
> Email: skeeve at theispguy.com ; Cell: +61(0)414 753 383
> Skype: skeeve; Blog: TheISPGuy.com <http://theispguy.com/> ; Facebook:
> TheISPGuy <https://www.facebook.com/theispguy>
>
> Linkedin: /in/skeeve <http://www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360:
> Profile <https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9>
>

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Reuben Farrelly <reuben-ausnog at reub.net>
> wrote:
>
>> That document was last updated in 2009 and most things on it are now EoL
>> and/or obsoleted. For example the 860 on that document is the old original
>> model that IIRC is end of life, not the much newer 867VAE, so the figures
>> don't apply. Ditto for the 880s - superseeded by the 880VA's.
>>
>> My real world testing on an 867VAE indicates that 50Mbit/sec is probably
>> closer to the limit before the CPU starts to eat dirt. That's with NAT but
>> no ACLs and definitely no ZBFW.  A 100M NBN service would definitely be
>> beyond one of these units.
>>
>> Smartnet on them is around $40/year.
>>
>> I have run into one problem with the 867VAE though. I have one deployed
>> in NZ and the DSL trainup time varies between 2 mins and about an hour. I
>> raised a TAC case on it, Cisco have told me in writing more than once that
>> the firmware on that platform is very very ancient and cannot be upgraded
>> (even though there is a download of Broadcom firmware for it on CCO which
>> strongly suggests that it can be upgraded). They suggested that a fix for
>> the issue was to upgrade to the 880VA, or to get the carrier (Chorus) to
>> tweak DSLAM settings to drop the interleave delay. Neither were palatable
>> options on what was a new install.
>>
>> On another one that was installed on a long line in Campbelltown NSW it
>> performed very well until the NBN was delivered a couple of months ago.
>> Now it drives a 25M NBN service easily and the upgrade from ADSL to NBN was
>> done without a new router.
>>
>> However despite these experiences, overall I would say that they are
>> great for functionality and great value for the price.
>>
>> Reuben
>>
>> On 2/11/2015 9:35 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think either of these routers have the throughput to handle
>>> decent NBN connections.
>>>
>>> Check:
>>>
>>> http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf
>>>
>>> 870 series - 12.8Mbps