[AusNOG] NetRegistry/TPP & Telstra DNS problem

Ben Grubb bgrubb at smh.com.au
Wed May 13 13:35:37 EST 2015

Melb IT also having issues
http://support.melbourneit.com.au/articles/help/Service-Alert-Network-Disruption-Telstra-DNS/?fs=Search

On 13 May 2015 at 13:33, Elliott Willink <Elliott.Willink at vibegroup.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Our support line is being hammered since about 8pm last night by customers
> who are on Telstra cable at home (VIC based, but may be interstate as well)
> who are having massive trouble accessing some of their services hosted by
> us but with DNS hosted by TPP/NetRegistry.
>
> I am convinced it is a fault within Telstra's network somehow - Telstra's
> cable DNS servers time out to any NetRegistry or TPP hosted domains. I have
> spoken to NetRegistry support multiple times and they are claiming they are
> getting roadblocked at Telstra's end, with Telstra claiming there is no
> issue. Public DNS and all other providers I have tried have no issues with
> TPP NS's.
>
> Same conncetion:
> nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 61.9.133.193
> Server:  dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au
> Address:  61.9.133.193
>
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> *** Request to dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au timed-out
>
> nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 61.9.134.49
> Server:  dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au
> Address:  61.9.134.49
>
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> *** Request to dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au timed-out
>
> nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 8.8.8.8
> Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
> Address:  8.8.8.8
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    tppwholesale.com.au
> Addresses:  2403:1400:2:1::107
>           114.141.204.51
>

> I know this is an issue between Telstra and NetRegistry but could anyone
> point me in the right direction on who I can follow this up with at
> Telstra's end to get a resolution? This is actually the second time it has
> happened (occurred a few weeks ago, and was resolved after about 12 hours).
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Elliott Willink
> Vibe Group
> (03) 8060-4507

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the
written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in
error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone
and delete all copies. Fairfax Media does not guarantee the accuracy or
completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files.
Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax Media does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached
files.