[AusNOG] NetRegistry/TPP & Telstra DNS problem

Elliott Willink Elliott.Willink at vibegroup.com.au
Wed May 13 13:33:42 EST 2015

Hi Guys,

Our support line is being hammered since about 8pm last night by customers who are on Telstra cable at home (VIC based, but may be interstate as well) who are having massive trouble accessing some of their services hosted by us but with DNS hosted by TPP/NetRegistry.

I am convinced it is a fault within Telstra's network somehow - Telstra's cable DNS servers time out to any NetRegistry or TPP hosted domains. I have spoken to NetRegistry support multiple times and they are claiming they are getting roadblocked at Telstra's end, with Telstra claiming there is no issue. Public DNS and all other providers I have tried have no issues with TPP NS's.

Same conncetion:
nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 61.9.133.193
Server:  dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au
Address:  61.9.133.193

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dns-cust.lon.bigpond.net.au timed-out

nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 61.9.134.49
Server:  dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au
Address:  61.9.134.49

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to dns-cust.win.bigpond.net.au timed-out

nslookup tppwholesale.com.au 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    tppwholesale.com.au
Addresses:  2403:1400:2:1::107
          114.141.204.51

I know this is an issue between Telstra and NetRegistry but could anyone point me in the right direction on who I can follow this up with at Telstra's end to get a resolution? This is actually the second time it has happened (occurred a few weeks ago, and was resolved after about 12 hours).

Thanks guys,

Elliott Willink
Vibe Group
(03) 8060-4507