[AusNOG] TPG vs the World

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Fri May 1 01:14:01 EST 2015

I think the competition aspect is sadly only one of the many
considerations (for me, at least). I personally think there's a distinct
difference between competition and competence. As someone who somehow
miraculously was a customer of both Soul and AAPT before TPG acquired
them, I am genuinely at my wits end with both of them being completely
and utterly unable to provide me anything resembling service (billing
disputes, provisioning taking forever, account managers who are
completely uncontactable for days/weeks on end) and by some of the
reports I hear from others, I'm not alone.

It's not bad enough that TPG are attempting to purchase iiNet (and as
much as they state they'll leave it alone, their track record suggests
otherwise), but for them to block Vocus (who I have nothing but
excellent experiences with) from expanding further into my own state
leaves a shit taste in my mouth.

When I look into the future and see TPG, Optus and Telstra as your three
main carriers in this country-- I get scared. *very* scared. As the
market continues to consolidate it's getting more and more difficult to
purchase transit/services, especially for the little guy.  I'm sure I
have the conversation with people on a frequent basis "so, who the hell
can I buy transit from" and that list is starting to get smaller and
smaller every day.

So it's all well and good if the three main carriers battle it out and
prices come down, but at what point does quality of service and customer
support start factoring into the equation? Surely that has just as much
of an impact on the customer as "competition".