[AusNOG] SPAM-MED: Re: Data Retention and CGNAT - educational exercise

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Mar 26 14:44:21 EST 2015

On 26/03/2015 12:51 PM, Paul Jones wrote:

> I think the same applies here – I respect people who see the world differently, but
> I think it’s nuts not to be providing dual stack IPV6. It just depends on what
> people’s vision is, and how prepared they like to be for the future. I realise there
> is only a limited number of hours in the day and business demands quite often get in
> the way, but having said that, some companies seem to live in a perpetual state of
> pending chaos! So long as they manage to keep just ahead of the avalanche behind
> them then everything is right with the world….

This.

If you like to be standards-compliant, then https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp177

BCP 177 = RFC 6540 - IPv6 support required for all IP-capable nodes - If it doesn't
include IPv6 capability as well as IPv4, then its not a RFC-compliant Internet-capable
device.

Its a shame there isn't an equivalent for the interconnecting networks - if the
network doesn't enable IPv6 as well as IPv4, then its not a RFC-compliant Internet
service, and shouldn't be called 'Internet'.

My comment this morning actually wasn't specifically about IPv6, and I never suggested
IPv6-only was feasible yet.
It was more about the application of energy - there are only so many hours in a day,
only so much energy that can be expended on finding solutions. If some of the energy
and time expended on making CG-NAT work incrementally better was instead funnelled
towards making IPv6 ubiquitous, then the CG-NAT stop-gap wouldn't be needed and could
be consigned to the 6th level of hell where it belongs.

P.