[AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 29 11:32:05 EST 2015

      From: Geordie Guy <elomis at gmail.com>
 To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au>; Brad Peczka <brad at bradpeczka.com>; "ausnog at lists.ausnog.net" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
 Sent: Saturday, 27 June 2015, 23:21
 Subject: Re: [AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

This is perpetuating the "nothing to hide" myth. Privacy is not about being protected from any particular form of harassment such as spam, it's about the details of the registration being nobody's goddamn business.
/ I think it is when you're registering a globally unique and *public* place holder / identifier using a *public* resource.

In particular, this is about this being round #2738 of rights holders and other speculative legal action trolls being distressed about not having information on tap they ordinarily need to follow due process for.Australian network operators and the wider technology community need to learn what is actually a threat to the ability to operate networks and services over the top of them. Spam is not a threat. Anonymity is not a threat. Privacy is not a threat. Copyright trolls, the attorney general and the TLAs are threats. Wise up.