[AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Fri Jun 26 12:05:35 EST 2015

On 6/26/2015 9:05 AM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
> If my DNS is broken on_my_  domains, I generally
> don't care, and don't want you phoning me about it. Why you would send a
> letter in that case is beyond me,
More to the point if your a commercial  organisation, / business which
these changes are aimed at, you would have some kind of external
monitoring, on the domain name pointing at an externl email address so
if something was to go wrong with your DNS you would get a notification
off the monitoring and far sooner then you would off some random
stranger who just happened to stumble accross your website.
Your far less likely to get emails off customers and its far more likely
they would just browse to your competitors if your sites down then
bother telling you about it.
The Click frenzy v1 is a great example of this, where a lot of online
retailers were just unprepared.
So having the mailing address visible in public whois is pointless
really, its only used by registrars if they can't email for whatever
reason so should be kept private.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager