[AusNOG] Telstra core routing / firewall issue?

Daniel satellite at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 1 16:54:26 EST 2015

Hi all,

We're unable to connect from Telstra 4G network devices to a particular
Bigpond HFC IP range since the respective cable area (SA 5066) was upgraded
with new routers/address blocks etc last week.

Working ok prev 12+ months, and others have independently discovered this
new fault condition.

>From the tracert below looks like the problem may be around 203.50.116.103 &
58.160.251.6?

I have a http test service open on an IP in the affected HFC IP address
block - connections to this page time out over 4G but fine from all other
sources that we've tried so far. Will supply this IP off list to assist with
replication.

Any at Telstra network guys able to assist?

Regards,

Daniel.

Tracert from Telstra ADSL service -> Bigpond Cable Modem Public IP
(connection succeeds)

--- SNIP ---

9 107 ms 118 ms 103 ms bundle-ether1.way-edge902.adelaide.telstra.net
[203.50.11.153]

10 117 ms 127 ms 103 ms 203.50.116.103

11 98 ms 121 ms 91 ms 58.160.251.6

--- SNIP ---

Tracert from 4G Device -> Bigpond Cable Modem Public IP (connection fails)

--- SNIP ---

7 70 ms 26 ms 27 ms bundle-ether1.way-edge902.adelaide.telstra.net
[203.50.11.153]

8 108 ms 26 ms 26 ms 203.50.116.103

9 * * * Request timed out.

--- SNIP ---