[AusNOG] Speedtest.net and other 'ISP' lists

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Aug 13 09:07:37 EST 2015

They simply use Maxmind.  You can submit a correction here:
http://www.maxmind.com/en/correction

They will set it to whatever you want, within reason (i.e. APNIC won't put
my trading name on my netblocks, but I don't want 'Gardner, Damien' coming
up in speedtest for customers, so I contacted maxmind, and now it shows the
ISP as Rendrag Networks :)

On 13 August 2015 at 09:02, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Noggers,
>
>  Recently speedtest.net has been showing one of my vISP's names for 'ISP'
> under a large amount of my IPv4 space incorrectly.
>
>  Not only is it incorrect, it is a bit of a leak to other vISP's and
> customers when they see the incorrect name on this heavily used website,
> and start querying it.
>
>  The APNIC Whois etc certainly hasn't changed, so I'm wondering about how
> these sites determine who is the ISP, and if there is a way to update it
> back to using the APNIC descr field on the blocks whois output?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust