[AusNOG] Netflix Peering in AU

Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada virtualsid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:26:13 EST 2015

Hi,

On 6 Apr 2015, at 11:46, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2015, at 12:39, Brendan Halley <brendan at halley.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> You'll find the biggest problem they are facing at the moment is that
>> most of the digital rights for content their perspective user base
>> wants is already owned by someone else.
>
> How does content distribution work elsewhere in the world? Cast your
> gaze around, then consider that that's how it's going to work here
> too.

Talking as a user from the UK. It doesn't seem wildly different here.
Exclusivity contracts end up sucking for end users, because you have to
have a subscription to multiple services if you want 'all the shows'.

Just because Netflix is a big player, doesn't mean they end up with all
the content come contract renewal time. I doubt Foxtel will let go of
their little monopoly easily. Just like Sky in the UK.

Our household ended up unsubscribing from UK Netflix after a year or so
of service, because we got tired waiting for them to add new seasons
(many years old at that time already) of shows we watched - ended up
doing the TiVo thing.

I doubt the landscape is much different here. But I don't know for a
fact.

In any case, this seems rather off topic for AusNOG. :)

Sid