[AusNOG] Netflix Peering in AU

Seamus Ryan s.ryan at uber.com.au
Mon Apr 6 19:02:04 EST 2015

>>   Again, I don't understand what the complaint is. These were not super secret graphs...

Can I nitpick?

The graphs being used don’t concern me the slightest, they are public and are free for anyone to use IMO. It’s the title that gets me "These graphs show the impact Netflix is having on the Australian internet"

No, they don’t.
All those graphs show is a large amount of traffic suddenly being served locally using domestic IX’s rather than being pulled from overseas networks. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has actually provided statistics (real stats, not estimations) on how many Netflix users resided in Australia BEFORE Netflix officially launched here. Additionally, nobody has provided stats on the signup rate since the official launch. The former we will probably never know because it isn’t in their interests to know.

If you read through the history of this thread, or even do just a few minutes of testing, you will find US-Exclusive content being served to Australian users (I won’t go into how, you all know) is in fact being served by IP’s/Caches that reside in Australia.

What this means is that you,  (nor I) can prove the large amount of traffic hitting the Netflix caches locally (the ones linked to in your news article) is in fact a huge surge in Netflix signups, or simply the many users who have been using Netflix for years in Australia suddenly hitting a local cache rather than one overseas.

The only half-fact we have from iiNet was:
Netflix has already reached 15 per cent of iiNet's consumer traffic in the first two days since launch. We are terrifically excited by the response

But I would question whether iiNet (or any ISP for that matter) was actually keeping a close eye on their users’ Netflix traffic BEFORE the official launch in Australia. I would be interested to hear if some of the larger players have noticed a drop in international traffic simply because the content is now local.

Food for thoughts ☺

Regards,
Seamus