[AusNOG] Netflix Peering in AU

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon Apr 6 13:46:36 EST 2015

On 6 Apr 2015, at 12:39, Brendan Halley <brendan at halley.net.au> wrote:

> You'll find the biggest problem they are facing at the moment is that most of the digital rights for content their perspective user base wants is already owned by someone else.

See, a lot of people say that, but they tend to be people who have literally no association whatsoever with the content acquisition market, so I reckon they're either passing on fabricated stories they read from elsewhere, or just plain making shit up themselves.

Unlike Stan and Presto, Netflix isn't a newbie in this space. They've been doing it for years, and have already secured global non-exclusive streaming rights for a substantial portion of their library.

For the content for which they haven't secured global streaming rights: whomever currently owns the exclusive rights doesn't own them forever. As each contract expires, there's a new bidder with an established track record at the table. How do you think the chips are going to fall?

I keep seeing people with this very restrictive view of Australian screening rights, as if we're somehow exceptional. We used to be, but we aren't anymore and never will be again. The ground has shifted, perhaps it's time for a few people to adjust their perceptions and expectations to catch up.

How does content distribution work elsewhere in the world? Cast your gaze around, then consider that that's how it's going to work here too.

Have you all finished reassessing your AGVC budget allocations yet?

 - mark