[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Oct 31 09:41:37 EST 2014

pffft

anyone who is going to do something stupid is hardly going to use a
provider supplied email, and recommending they use gmail or hotmail
shows you dont care about their users privacy, you only care about your
part in responsibility.

I think there are way too many paranoid people here, its almost like,
the writers of "millenium" should read the archives of this list for a
great comeback series :)

On 30/10/2014 16:58, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> I'd love to know what is meant by SMTP.
>
> For new providers I'm building these days my recommendation is to do NO mail. Consumers can go to gmail/hotmail/etc... and businesses run their own.
>
> If I ran an SMTP relay for customers, I would tell customers not to use it... so there would be no record.
>
> Business should setup a $10 per month AWS instance in the US or Japan and relay email through that.
>
> My opinion is that if we don't offer the service, we can't actually log it or give the information over.
>
> On the other hand.. if they are asking us to intercept traffic to figure this stuff out... then I'd think there would be a much bigger problem.
>
> ...Skeeve
>
> SKEEVE STEVENS - eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
>
> skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com [1]
>
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
>
> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks [2] ; linkedin.com/in/skeeve [3]
>
> twitter.com/theispguy [4] ; blog: www.theispguy.com [5]
>
> The Experts Who The Experts Call
> Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering
>
> On 30 October 2014 11:54, David Beveridge <dave at bevhost.com> wrote:
>
> I don't know why you're so upset about this.
> They're only asking you to keep radius and smtp logs.
> It's not like you're being asked to keep two years worth of netflow history.
>
> dave
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Paul Julian <paul at oxygennetworks.com.au> wrote:
>
> This is total bullshit, these people just have no clue, is there nothing we can do as a community to try and stop this nonsense ?
>
> I can just see the $$$$ now.....
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
>
> FROM: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] ON BEHALF OF Andrew Yager
> SENT: Thursday, 30 October 2014 11:22 AM
> TO: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
> SUBJECT: [AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing
>
> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/latest/turnbull-to-rush-metadata-retention-legislation-through-parliament/story-e6frg90f-1227106806266?nk=72104b22405c826c296d068859fd4bea [6]
>
> Andrew
>
> --
>
> ANDREW YAGER, MANAGING DIRECTOR _MACS (Snr) CP BCompSc JNCIS-SP_
> Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd - IT people you can trust
> ph: 1300 798 718 or (02) 9037 0500
> fax: (02) 9037 0591
> http://www.rwts.com.au/ [7]

Links: