[AusNOG] Cable length limits?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Tue Mar 4 22:37:41 EST 2014

On 03/04/2014 08:52 PM, Paul Gear wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a project involving a new facility being built in
> Townsville.  A consultant on the project mentioned to me today that he
> had heard some discussions which suggested that the maximum distance
> of 90m on a Cat5e/Cat6 run applies to environments where the ambient
> temperature is around 20 degrees, and that higher temperatures can
> actually require lower length limits.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny, and/or point to some relevant references?
> Google seems to have some relevant hits, but discerning the wheat from
> the chaff is tricky - many of the first few hits for the searches I
> did were from companies trying to sell higher grade cabling.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Hi all,

As always, an outstandingly helpful response to my question!  Thanks for
all the replies on- and off-list.

One point that several people brought up was PoE.  In this project, the
majority of devices on the network will be PoE of various types,
including phones, wireless access points, etc.  None of them are greater
than class 2 (6.49W), to my knowledge.  Does this change the situation?

Regards,
Paul