[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Mon Jul 21 17:42:56 EST 2014

"commercially challenged"  yes and especially when considering that without
the open NBN we were supposed to have, we'll end up with a situation where
people like TPG or Vocus end up decimating Telstra in terms
of connectivity if not bandwidth (i don't know the exact figures, but I'd
have to surmise all those TPG unlimited connections would be getting them
close to Telstras traffic levels, residential at least), yet because
Telstra has the last mile, we're eternally doomed to be bound by their way
of doing things.

I don't know the figures for azure etal completelty, i think the price
difference is not just domestic transit (Bevan being in the DC business you
could probably confirm the 2nd cost would be power/cooling?), even if it is
a big part of it, but either way i'd think in the next year or so even
without telstra and co fixing domestic pricing, so many end consumers (not
telstra/optus obviously) will be directly connected via peering or similar
(those not already, not in the list of OP, having beeing connected via MP
or price reductions coupled with their volume going up), market share wise
we might just be able to break the dominance of telstra. if/when netflix
works out given how they are 1/3rd USA traffic, you'd have to think again,
those consumers connecting via peering should surely make a big impact on
telstras transit business. which ironically might see prices rise as they
loose volume?