[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Thu Jul 10 14:50:24 EST 2014

Our new Dell servers have intel 1/10G copper lom cards. We should have
chosen better (and got SFP ports instead) but this is increasingly standard
config. There is marginal price difference between our HP and dell options
for 1/10G base T, but switching is still a headache.

Would we consider taking TOR to 10GBaseT? Sure, given the commodity price
at the other end. But there is still a lack of decently priced enterprise
10GbaseT kit in my survey; where the port price on the SFP+ kit is
comparatively low.

>From my perspective, I want to see that improve before I invest in decent
10GB-T switches.

So yes, I think what you will see is pretty much all new servers will come
with a number of copper 1/10G ports, and that has to drive the port pricing
down...

For any still following along at home, we've decided for now to just
connect these ports at 1G and buy a 10G SFP pcie card and use twinax or
fibre to connect. End cost is much cheaper; similarly we'll order new
servers similarly configured.

Andrew

--
*Andrew Yager, Managing Director*   *MACS (Snr) CP BCompSc MCP*
Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd - IT people you can trust