[AusNOG] 10GBase-T SFP modules?

Lincoln Dale ltd at arista.com
Thu Jul 10 14:41:44 EST 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> While some of the rack servers have 10/100/1000/10000 ports on them, they
> appear because the servers happen to come with them, not because they are
> chosen.

All this tells me is that for where this has happened:
 a. there isn't coordination between 'server' and 'network' team(s)
 b. they're happy to waste money buying ports they don't need
(1G/10GBASE-T) / buying NIC/CNAs they could have got by without
 c. if its related to FCoE or similar they've been hoodwinked by a vendor
on things like BER of 10GBASE-T.

Dare I suggest, it but I'd consider neither a nor b to be desirable or
clueful. Whomever they have managing the infrastructure isn't doing their
job very well.

Of course it may well be that they are buying them on some future
need/requirement but you're not suggesting that.

cheers,

lincoln.