[AusNOG] Commsday: Slingshot to open access to Netflix in New Zealand

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:53:45 EST 2014

On 7 July 2014 10:44, Serge Burjak <sburjak at systech.com.au> wrote:

> Strictly speaking, it's still copyright infringement. The fact you pay
> for it doesn't make it better. It's like getting an MS licence and
> saying you are student, but using it in a business. It's against the
> T&Cs.

I'm pretty sure that rulings in the past have indicated that geoblocking of
content isn't considered breach of copyright (which is, for example, how
DVD players without region locks are able to be sold legally in this
country).  Not that this seems to matter to the content owners...

> It would make a LOT of sense for Netflix to open in Australia next.
> The pent up demand would be huge, if they could get a decent range of
> programming, another problem. I think we are more literate in area
> than parts of Europe, their next destination.

I'm pretty sure that if Netflix made that sort of move, there'd be a lot of
gnashing of teeth by people who are very good at petitioning government -
the lobbyists are already agitating over iiNet's court victory.