[AusNOG] Pokethernet cable tester

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Feb 2 15:47:20 EST 2014

As it was tought to me, it doesn’t matter what the purpose of the connection is - if you are connecting to fixed cabling (that is, any cable which is fixed in place in *any* way - legally, a patch cable passed through a wall, or passed through conduit or aussieduct becomes fixed cabling.), the device being connected must be Austel Approved (these days they call it the A-Tick, and they’ve just introduced the ‘RCM’  (http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Suppliers/Supplier-resources/Supplier-overview/compliance-marks)..

The biggest problem is the definition of where it starts and ends is too open ended.. Back when i was doing my bridging from Electrical to get my comms cabling license, I asked my lecturer where it should stop.. Thinking specifically of the case of my Ham radio APRS iGate sitting at work, where we went DDS -> router -> switch -> server -> modem -> radio -> antenna cabling -> antenna.  The lecturer’s take on it was that as it was all going over the PSTN, then ALL cabling needed to be done by a licensed cabler.

I emailed the ACMA compliance bureau to ask about it, and got a phone call back, with the fellow explaining that he didn’t want to put the response in writing, as going by the legislation, it would require a licensed cabler, but in practice, they wouldn’t expect the antenna cabling, as they considered the comms cabling stopped at the point of the server.

I guess that’s the main point - unless you screw up, you’re safe.. but if you should happen to screw up and take out something on the PSTN, then if your gear doesn’t have the A-tick, you’re in the crapper..

Though I haven’t been overly active in going on 10 years now, so it’s all quite likely (hopefully!) changed :)

Cheers,

DG