[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Peter Lawler ausnog at bleeter.id.au
Mon Dec 22 05:56:32 EST 2014

On 22/12/14 03:05, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> No one knows you yet and no boss goes looking for troubled employees
> unless it is part of a special programme...

I'm loathed to continue this thread, however I'll take the line that the
mental health of network operators is probably kinda more on topic than
other threads that have gone on for longer. I hope the mods can give me
some leeway. Those who aren't interested, please feel free to bin this ASAP.

If spend some time looking around, you'll find the quoted statement is
also demonstrably untrue. A good employer places mental health front and
centre as much as ensuring their office space is wheelchair accessible
or they have decent paid parental and/or carers services &c. As mental
health is still such a taboo topic, particularly for those who suffer
from it, it might not be raised directly during the hiring process but
it'll be pointed out that services and understanding are available and
this will give the candidate, if they feel comfortable, the opportunity
to have a brief chat about such. I'm certainly not meaning to state that
such employers will take anyone on, more that they are capable of
comprehending that our industry appears to have a greater number of
employees who suffer from mental health problems than others (the jury
is still out on whether it's the lifestyle, the type of work, the
workplace setups, &c, or a combination of all) and will give employees
help when asked for/needed.

I attended a Bluehacker event at LCA[1] 2013. Whilst I'm not at liberty
to specifically pass on what was said by others inside the discussion
group, I am at liberty to say I discussed my suicide attempt about two
weeks previous to the meeting (which ended in hospitalisation and a
medical directive that upon release I must continue my attendance at
LCA, believed to be the first time ever someone was required to attend
LCA for health reasons). A number of employers approached me the
Bluehackers event and stated that I should not think that my depression
would be a barrier if I were to ever consider applying for work with
them and that they mention mental health support during interview. These
are the employers to look out for, and whilst they are like gold dust at
least they are not the closed minded narrow viewed fools who'd have
people in wheelchairs in 'special schools'/'sheltered workshops' and
sack women because they have a kid.

tl;dr It's people and attitudes like you've amplified above, Skeeve,
what aggravate mental distress. Go get an education.

</rant>

Pete.

http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/lca-announce/2013-January/000203.html

PS I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the NOGgers I know who've
kept in touch since Jan 2013 for no reason apart from being human. You
guys!!!