[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Schulz, Jason Jason.Schulz at cba.com.au
Mon Dec 22 12:26:46 EST 2014

I employed someone as a programmer about a year after they had attempted suicide, and it was disclosed at the interview. It was apparent in the interview that he was talented, and the question was could we manage his situation.

The only accommodation I to make for him as an employee (and one that I was happy to make) was for some workload management while he moved between meds (he'd need a quiet week every now and then). Because of his experience, it turned out he was far more stable (and productive) than a number of my other programmers.

He's since gone onto much bigger and better things, and in retrospect I'm glad I could give him the professional stability he needed while he continued rebuilding his personal life.

YMMV.

Regards,

Jason.