[AusNOG] metadata conference on SkyNews

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Mon Aug 11 18:15:02 EST 2014

I presume the general theoretical use case for this sort of thing is, we
hacked "killtheinfidels.com" and saw a bunch of Australian IP's hitting
it, we'd like to see who is doing that.
Then they can percolate that through their databases and see if there is
anybody interesting, add people to watchlists all the good stuff.
Obviously it isn't going to get anybody with half a brain, but
thankfully most of the nutjobs seem to self select to fall into that
category.

What I would find interesting would be if, now that they have said all
they want is IP to account matchups. If IINET and the other players said
something along the lines of "we support this limited data retention in
the interest of national security, You can prove that your intentions
are true and not supported by afact (or whomever) by legislating that
these records not be able to be used for copyright infringement purposes"

I'd also suggest that they could create a class of warrant, whereby a
judge could OK the acquisition by "the powers that be" of this
information, which would breach the privacy of users. Though this could
well reveal the information that lead to the desire for the IP addresses
in the first place.
(Secret warrants are a bad thing)