[AusNOG] (Meta-)Data Retention

Chris Macko cmacko at intervolve.com.au
Wed Aug 6 13:35:51 EST 2014

Yeah true. Thanks for that.

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on how exactly data retention will combat terrorism within Australia (being the key point)? Or are we doing this to combat terrorism outside of Australia? If that's the case, it shouldn't be our problem. We have an economy to get back in order. I did read that there's an additional $600m over 4 years being given to the security agencies by the Federal government over the next 4 years, on top of what they already have been provided (SA Advertiser). This is really a federal government issue, stop making it a business problem.

Seperately, I don't see how we could actually monitor and store all traffic, in particular with cloud hosting provision..... in particular where you have blends of dedicated / virtual and cloud hosting.

A gateway approach won't work. We can't stick devices on our uplinks to suppliers, we'd lose out on all the recording of internal traffic between our customers. Then again, what do we monitor on, HTTP 80? So an organisation just changes their website to redirect from port 80 to port 8080, records the initial click but doesn't require the subsequent actual site..... Do we record based upon HTML content within source code? Well just lose the HTML tags.... We can't be monitoring every piece of traffic, the amount of processing to do that with the amount of data being generated would be stupifying.

What about customers that are international that purchase dedicated / virtual / cloud hosting within Australia? How many would actually comply with this requirement. And how would we as service providers, be able to monitor their correct compliance? We certainly wouldn't be able to monitor on a server by server basis, this would be a nightmare.

I think the communications minister should become a member of AUSNOG if he's not already to understand the communications industry, or otherwise he should be replaced with an existing member of AUSNOG, someone that is involved in the communications industry.

Chris