[AusNOG] Government sets parameters for NBN

Ben Cooper ben at zeno.io
Wed Apr 9 17:49:16 EST 2014

Lets not lose sight of the great number of people who were never going to
get glass ANYWAY under the original scheme. There have been flaws at every
stage of this thing, it's just how many people were affected, and how noisy
those people were (or politically influential).

Valid point, I think most people agree the (118?) POI's was a huge number,
when really we needed one in all the majors (10 at most?).

When the highest population-density areas (read, those who already had
ADSL2, wireless and multiple other technologies from a variety of vendors -
ie the metro areas particularly) were going to get their feeble 5 megabits
services upgraded to hundred megabits+ over glass, all those people who
were stuck with dial-up modems (or aspired to have a line good enough to
use a dial-up modem), or who limped along with 256Kbps adsl1 (because it
was the best they could get), or were forced back to high-latency,
expensive, unreliable satellite services that are entirely unsuitable for
voice or real interactive applications) - were unlikely to actually see any
benefit ANYWAY.

I thought the satelite was a last ditch resort, and "fixed wireless
woooooo" was going to be the norm for these people?

Expensive solutions or not, don't fool yourself that EITHER party was going
to actually deliver FTEP. (Fiber-To-EVERY-Premesis)

Wouldn't it be expected that after ftpp was rolled out to the 93% or there
abouts, that they would still slowly creep the network out further, slowly
negating the wireless networks?

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Ross Wheeler <ausnog at rossw.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Greg Anderson wrote:
>
>  In my opinion, the FTTH was expensive but invaluable, however this
>> technology mix (lets call it PN for public network) is not going to solve
>> majority of the problems we have in place today - only the dire ones (like
>> pair gain problems preventing any kind of fixed line networking at all).
>>

> Lets not lose sight of the great number of people who were never going to
> get glass ANYWAY under the original scheme. There have been flaws at every
> stage of this thing, it's just how many people were affected, and how noisy
> those people were (or politically influential).
>
> When the highest population-density areas (read, those who already had
> ADSL2, wireless and multiple other technologies from a variety of vendors -
> ie the metro areas particularly) were going to get their feeble 5 megabits
> services upgraded to hundred megabits+ over glass, all those people who
> were stuck with dial-up modems (or aspired to have a line good enough to
> use a dial-up modem), or who limped along with 256Kbps adsl1 (because it
> was the best they could get), or were forced back to high-latency,
> expensive, unreliable satellite services that are entirely unsuitable for
> voice or real interactive applications) - were unlikely to actually see any
> benefit ANYWAY.
>
> Expensive solutions or not, don't fool yourself that EITHER party was
> going to actually deliver FTEP. (Fiber-To-EVERY-Premesis)

Ben Cooper
CEO
Zeno Holdings PTY LTD
P: +61 7 3503 8553