[AusNOG] Government sets parameters for NBN

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Apr 9 17:57:23 EST 2014

> I thought the satelite was a last ditch resort, and "fixed wireless
> woooooo" was going to be the norm for these people?

There are still a lot of people who won't get "fixed wireless" because
either (a) there are too many people for the cell(s) and that would push
the contention ratio above what the government (?) mandated was the
maximum; (b) there are a great many places which by the nature of the
terrain would not get "fixed wireless" or (c) are simply too far from the
nearest cells to get such a service (especially farms which I recall being
one of the ones touted to gain so much from this!)

> Wouldn't it be expected that after ftpp was rolled out to the 93% or there
> abouts, that they would still slowly creep the network out further, slowly
> negating the wireless networks?

Why would you "expect" this? Just because it makes technical sense isn't
enough. Do you seriously expect once they've done 93% of the population,
that the 7% that remains (which is the REALLY HARD TO GET TO 7%) will be
simply "given up on" because it isn't economically viable (private
operator view) or financially justifiable ("public" money/government
view).

No, I honestly expect they'll get the low-hanging fruit, do what is
required by legislation/contract and not a bit more (unless it makes them
more money or gains them other benefits).