[AusNOG] Scaling beyond 1Gbps transit

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Tue Sep 24 22:44:16 EST 2013

Since a bunch of people chipped in with the ASR option, which are great and
can be quite attractive with the lower end/priced bundles..... a few words
of warning.

They're complicated boxes so make sure you're familiar with the ASR
architecture including what components exist within each box. In particular
what components have their own discrete memory; along with what those
memory requirements will be within your particular network using your
particular configuration.

e.g. If you take MPLS all the way to the edge and are encapsulating a full
Internet routing table that will impact memory requirements within the ESP.
There are workarounds but on 1K consider an ESP 10G at a minimum.

Colin Stubbs | Equate Technologies
Level 27, Santos Place, 32 Turbot Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000
T: +61 7 3181 5558 | M: +61 488 000 977
E: colin.stubbs @ equatetechnologies . com . au