[AusNOG] Liberals plan to Filter the Internet

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Thu Sep 5 20:03:32 EST 2013

It doesn't sound like a CPE filter to me, it sounds like a dogs breakfast.
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/355885,coalition-to-filter-internet-smartphones.aspx

"Smartphone users under the age of 18 would have "adult content filters"
applied to their mobile services by default, according to the policy."
....right, and the length of time your average 16 year old will take to
remove said filter?

In many ways this seems worse than an ISP level filter, I mean now they
are trying to get ISP's to enforce software on end user equipment. Its
just daft.

If my grandmother has an internet connection solely for VoIP what is she
going to install this filter software on? Will she have to call up the
government and ask for access to XXX material just so she can make cheap
phone calls?