[AusNOG] IPv4

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Mar 4 12:19:16 EST 2013

In message <FD78AAE6-F418-46C0-9388-338F735392FD at atdot.dotat.org>, Mark Newton
writes:

> On 03/03/2013, at 19:00, Don Gould <don at bowenvale.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Paul how is DNS for this?
> >
> > Please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand how you use DNS to multih
> ome a device.
>
> There's this idea in IPv6 that you can separate the identifier from the locat
> or.
>
> That's a jargon term, that's essentially wrapped up with the idea that applic
> ations/services can use addresses that aren't totally fixed to their location
> , in the way that IPv4 has commonly been used.
>
> The DNS is full of identifiers. The locators are the AAAA records.
>
> For a while in the mid-2000's it looked like "people who weren't ISPs" would
> not be granted RIR allocations of IPv6 address space.  To multihome, they'd u
> se DHCPv6 and SLAAC to establish locators for every service from every ISP, a
> nd use magic pixie dust to do failover and load balancing between them.
>
> So your workstation in your office would have an IPv6 ULA from EVERY service
> provider your enterprise connects to. So would your routers, probably your pr
> inters and mobile devices too. They'd all be in the DNS, updated by some yet-
> to-be-written magic to make sure that everyone on the Internet could locate t
> hem if their identifier was known.

PA address not ULA.

Source based routing for home nets is in the process of becoming a reality.
You deprecate the prefixes and associated addresses which don't have external
connectivity.  You restore the prefixes when connectivity is restored.

As for the magic to update the DNS that existed in 2000 though there wasn't
much deployment of it.  Windows has being using it for the last decade now.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org