[AusNOG] IPv4

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Mon Mar 4 11:52:00 EST 2013

On 03/03/2013, at 6:55 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 03/03/2013, at 19:00, Don Gould <don at bowenvale.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Paul how is DNS for this?
>>
>> Please excuse my ignorance but I don't understand how you use DNS to multihome a device.
>
> There's this idea in IPv6 that you can separate the identifier from the locator.

That idea is not just focused in IPv6. An identifier agnostic (generally speaking) experiment is underway in the IETF.

Take a look at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lisp/
or for a less onerous read http://lisp4.cisco.com/lisp_over.html (the description and the rationale in this isn't perfect IMHO, but good enough for the basics)

> Thankfully the RIR orgs adopted policies which enabled PI assignments to non-ISPs, and SHIM6 stalled.  So now the plan is to use BGP, portable assignments, and DNS just like we always have.

Its an evolution, given how far and how fast the internet has come compared to almost every other 'fast mover' technology - if the network fails to evolve, it will fail. But I guess I'm preaching to the collective choir on that ;)

> That has advantages and disadvantages, of course. But doesn't everything?

Indeed.

Cheers,
Terry