[AusNOG] IPv4

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Sun Mar 3 13:06:22 EST 2013

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013, Peter Betyounan wrote:

> Exactly the reason we are in this position the cost and benefit is what I
> always said great to have someone agree big business doesn't want to spend
> to roll it out to the majority for little benefit.

Well, there's the answer....

All those with the foresight to get into this "internet thing" a decade or
more ago, and got IPV4 space for customers and servers etc were the smart
ones. Those who said it was just a passing phase, a fad, and are comming
to the table late, should get IPV6 space basically for free, but since
everyone else has their stuff all done and working, those with the new and
incompatible V6 stuff should pay for those with V4 to upgrade. After all,
the IPV4 world works just fine, anyone wanting to change the status quo
should reasonably be expected to foot the bill for everyone else having to
change. Only thing that makes sense really, isn't it?

(For those who don't get it, there are large, flashing red <SARCASM> tags
implied around that)