[AusNOG] Is anyone else sick of Tony abbot claiming Malcolm Turbull invented the internet.

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Sat Jun 29 13:54:19 EST 2013

On 28/06/13 8:41 PM, Chris Chaundy wrote:

> There is some 'discussion' as to whether Microplex or connect.com.au
> <http://connect.com.au> were the first commercial *IP* providers in
> Australia (circa 1992/1993) - as distinct from email
As I remember it when I connected Microplex Cisco AGS via a Telecom
Microlink to a  T/A at 64k to the netblazer at .SU Microplex connected
to port 2.  Port 1 was already allocated and connected to connect.com.
(well the TA displayed CD)  So to my mind connect.com was first we were
second. However we only provided shell accounts for the first few weeks
before i wrote the  shell scripts on the SCO box that started slip
sessions  allocated IP's etc. So im a bit unsure who sold the commercial
IP accounts first. It was within weeks of AARNET providing connections
to the first as they called them then "Affiliates"

Chris how long after you connected did you start selling.

To my mind it was allays connect.com by a nose.

Matt.