[AusNOG] Peering in Melbourne: PIPE vs VIC-IX

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Mon Jun 3 15:11:49 EST 2013

People commented on this recently, saying they saw 80/20 VICIX/PIPE, and
similarly 80/20 EQUINIX/PIPE in Sydney, so I think the consensus generally
might be that PIPE has been falling out of primary use.

It's certainly more in the spirit of an IX to go with WAIA as its not for
profit, while PIPE is commercial and especially problematic for those with
both PIPE transit and peering products (as we saw with a certain provider a
few months ago). Maybe ATM its not so much of a problem, but down the track
especially with NBN, there will definitely be conflicts of interest and
therefore degredation possibilities.