[AusNOG] Dell powerconnect and cisco stp

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Fri Jan 11 11:27:30 EST 2013

Hi

So where I was in my main DC

Stacked 3750 -> connect to 2 x 8024f

The 8024f were for iSCSI

My plan was to stack the 8024f and the setup a link between DC's with the 8024F with 2x SFP+ connections

I wanted to get a working STP solution in place.

I look at the Rapid-PVST+ (cisco )  -> MST (Dell) setup working
I found this document
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20083170/download.aspx

Somebody at dell did some testing.  It talks about the different bpdu's

Basically this didn't work for me as I wasn't trunking vlan 1 and also it had a high convergence time, it explains why and recommends MST to MST for faster convergence.

The tell-tale for me was seeing 2 root bridges :)

My test environment was close to the production but
2 x cisco's (non stacked in prod there are stacked)
2  x 8024F (stacked)

So I planned out my MST region, setup some MSTi, I am still not trunking vlan1

I have let the switches work out which wants to be the root bridge. I will be changing that.

But now I have all my ports open and the blocking is happening at the vlan on the port. Nice side effect of using MST. Convergence is a lot faster and issues on one vlan no longer affect the other vlans.

Alex