[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 8 13:25:04 EST 2013

In message <51145C33.7060905 at internode.com.au>, Brad Gould writes:
> On 8/02/2013 12:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Otherwise it is just a con.
>
> When is it a con?  Is it during peak time or at 4am?

If it is not available at peak times it is a con.  Now I know Optus
has no control over other ISP's but they do have control over back
haul and peering links.  If you are paying for additional speed you
should be able to get it most of the time.  Failure to do that leads
them open to ACCC prosecutions.

> All other things being equal, if you have two equal connections sharing
> a congested link, the flow with the lower latency will crowd out the
> higher latency flow.

Depends on the protocol.  For TCP you will tend to get balanced streams
provided the bandwidth x delay is still within limits.

> So am I being "evil" by leveraging that as a customer, to the detriment
> of my neighbor?
>
> A faster line-link will enable you to crowd out slower neighbors, as
> will grabbing traffic from a local source.
>
> It works both ways.  Service Providers supply service, customers
> consume, and neither has complete, total control of the outcome.
>
> I can affect other customers outcomes, they can affect mine, and service
> providers can under/over-provision, dpi/qos and route optimize (or not).

It also has to do with truth in advertising.  You don't advertise something
you can't deliver.