[AusNOG] News: Telstra to clamp down on peer-to-peer

Brad Gould bradley at internode.com.au
Fri Feb 8 13:00:19 EST 2013

On 8/02/2013 12:11 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Otherwise it is just a con.

When is it a con?  Is it during peak time or at 4am?

All other things being equal, if you have two equal connections sharing
a congested link, the flow with the lower latency will crowd out the
higher latency flow.

So am I being "evil" by leveraging that as a customer, to the detriment
of my neighbor?

A faster line-link will enable you to crowd out slower neighbors, as
will grabbing traffic from a local source.

It works both ways.  Service Providers supply service, customers
consume, and neither has complete, total control of the outcome.

I can affect other customers outcomes, they can affect mine, and service
providers can under/over-provision, dpi/qos and route optimize (or not).

Brad

--
Brad Gould, Network Engineer
Internode