[AusNOG] Carrier Access to Datacentres

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Tue Apr 23 16:42:27 EST 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 04:22:26PM +1000, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> The situation is a Telco/Carrier (like Telstra/Optus/etc) that want to
> provide services to your customers in your datacentre.
>
> The issue is here is about access to rack space, power, etc.
>
> A customer of mine is a DC and has a large telco wanting a whole rack, with
> power... but don't seem to want to pay for it.  I am just wondering what
> others have done in these situations.

Someone's paying for that space and power.  Either the DC's customers do,
through higher prices on *their* racks and power, or the carriers do
directly.

For the DC, whether or not they give the carrier the freebie depends on if
they think that having the carrier already in place will be a deciding
factor in their favour for enough extra customers to make it worthwhile.  As
a single datapoint, my attitude (as someone who makes input into decisions
regarding facilities) is that having *several* big carriers in place is
valuable and useful, but just one isn't going to sway me in your favour.

- Matt

--
The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, that way you don't get
your knife caught in his ribs...