[AusNOG] Strange DNS issue

Heinz N ausnog at equisoft.com.au
Sun Oct 28 13:59:08 EST 2012

> Thanks Heinz. I lowered the refresh time yesterday and I've just seriously increased
> the serial. It has become a bit curiouser though. Telstra's lon-resolver.telstra.net
> appears to be returning the correct record when queried from a USA server:
>
> However, when I query the same server from my client's firewall which is connected to
> Bigpond ADSL, it fails:

I suspect your local telstra ADSL service is going through some sort of
transparent DNS proxy which has not updated yet. I also saw similar update
delays (some clients could see the update, some couldn't). I would hate to
run telstra's DNS. Apart from being attacked all the time and the massive
load from normal users, there would also be issues syncing up servers and
caches spread all over the place. From their perspective, I would do
everything I could to limit redundant updates. With telstra, I have found
that the only thing you can do is sit on your hands and wait for it to all
come good :-)

Regards,
Heinz N