[AusNOG] Strange DNS issue

CAS Netlink Support support at cbl.com.au
Sun Oct 28 13:41:25 EST 2012

Thanks Heinz. I lowered the refresh time yesterday and I've just
seriously increased the serial. It has become a bit curiouser though.
Telstra's lon-resolver.telstra.net appears to be returning the correct
record when queried from a USA server:

# dig @203.50.2.71 xxxxx.net any

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.5 <<>> @203.50.2.71
xxxxx.net any
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4

However, when I query the same server from my client's firewall which is
connected to Bigpond ADSL, it fails:

t# dig @203.50.2.71 xxxxx.net any

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P2 <<>> @203.50.2.71 xxxxx.net any
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 40361
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

I've never seen this sort of weirdness before. DNS seemed so much easier
when Robert Elz was running the show :).

Gary