[AusNOG] VDSL2, was Re: 4G advances

Guy Ellis guy at traverse.com.au
Fri Oct 19 10:12:43 EST 2012

I don't think we see a lot of VDSL2 in Australia because of the $
investment required.
Also for line lengths > 2km ADSL2+ is almost as good.

Bonding ADSL2+ is a lower cost alternative as there is no need for new
DLSAMs.
There are a few doing this here already and elsewhere ....
(i) http://www.iinet.net.au/business/medium/internet/bonded-dsl/
(ii) http://www.fusionbroadband.com.au/
(iii) http://www.sharedband.com

- Guy.

On 18/10/2012 6:34 PM, Travis wrote:
> If we are talking advances to the ADSL/ADSL2+ part of the equation it
> already exists VDSL2
>
> Dont know if it will ever come to Australia in general through.
> (Transact use it in Canberra etc)
>
> Travis
>
> On 16 October 2012 21:37, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
> <mailto:vk6ksj at westnet.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     A friend just pointed out something which I was going to ask anyway.
>
>     There are lots of people attached to congested RIM's which have
>     fibre backhaul to the exchange, even though the exchange is good
>     for ADSL2+ they can't get that speed or throughput because:
>     a) the RIM itself is congested, cards are full, etc
>     b) even if the RIM was handling things nicely, the backhaul is
>     congested
>
>     Unless the RIM's and their rollout were poorly planned, wouldn't
>     it be a fairly simple task of either:
>     a) replacing the optics on either end?, or
>     b) lighting up another wavelength?

Guy Ellis
guy at traverse.com.au
www.traverse.com.au