[AusNOG] Vocus vs. Pipe - Was: Vocus peering traffic missingfrom PIPE-IX?

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:33:28 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Christopher Pollock <
chris at ionetworks.com.au> wrote:

> Sure, but the other value proposition for peering is also performance.
>
> Obviously the commercials are a concern as transit prices drop and there's
> a 'worth it' tipping point, but depending on your content delivery
> strategy, those IX links can be produce some good results.

Big +1 here.

Another key consideration with peering links is having multiple _decent_
paths to other domestic networks. In the last year or so there have been
numerous occasions where a PIPE switch has failed in one DC or another. I'd
much rather have that traffic shift over to another IX (even if it's in a
neighbouring state) rather than one or more transit providers, quite often
with silly routing.

Likewise, I'm a big fan of having multiple IX operators. Regardless of your
opinion of PIPE, it simply makes good sense to try to spread out your risk
across multiple sites, IXes and the like - that way (especially in the case
of errors in automated configurations or the like being pushed out), you
have a much better chance of maintaining performance (bandwidth, latency,
etc).

Sam