[AusNOG] Getting there from here (was: Re: My Predictions for the ISP Industry)

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Mar 14 15:23:30 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:04:46PM +1000, Noel Butler wrote:

 > My point was Mark, once we run out of ipv4, long before the rest of the
 > world, and end users here can only be issued with ipv6, with the
 > majority of the world not using ipv6, it will be a lonely place, unless
 > ISP's configure kinda like nat 6 to 4 since 4 is the dominant.

There will never be a time when "end users here can only be issued
with ipv6."

They might get IPv4 that's shared with 50 other customers behind a
NAT gateway, but that's not the same thing as "only issued with
ipv6."

The IPv4 internet will slowly, steadily, monotonically increase its
suck-factor.  The IPv6 internet will not.

So there's your migration justification right there.

I really don't understand the resistance to the idea.  In terms of
effort invested, it's no worse than the dialup-to-ADSL migration,
or the implementation of MPLS (it's just another layer-3 protocol,
right?).  If the people who've spent the last few years expressing
so much skepticism had actually put their heads down and done it,
it'd be over by now.

Since when have geeks been afraid of change?

  - mark