[AusNOG] Telstra manipulating DNS to block botnets

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Fri Jun 15 14:49:27 EST 2012

I don't like the idea of protecting customers from themselves. We are not a
nanny state and I don't want to live in one. People have to learn to take
responsibility for their own actions. We are all supposed to be adults or
adults supervising kids access. If people are too lazy to protect themselves
that is their problem. Too many times I've heard courts be lenient because
people say "I didn't know that could happen, I didn't understand what I was
doing, I was too drunk/drugged when I hit him that hard, but I was only
looking at my phone when I stepped in front of the car etc etc" and courts
actually lend some weight to their excuses.

It seems that some in our industry want to extend the reasoning "people have
to be protected from themselves" to the internet. I clearly and
unequivocally reject this. If people expect they have rights, they need to
also accept the responsibilities that come with the rights.

I believe we and the Government have a duty to inform people of the risks
when connecting to the internet and how people can minimise risk, but not to
control what they access or what they do or don't do to protect themselves.

I can understand network operators taking action to protect the integrity
and uptime of their networks but that action must only be for that reason.
It must not be to protect customers from the customers own
actions/inactions.

My 4 cents.

Rod