[AusNOG] Cisco Pushing 'Cloud Connect' Router Firmware - Allows Web History Tracking

Rod Veith rod at rb.net.au
Sun Jul 1 11:58:40 EST 2012

Sigh, more corporate speak with a significant loop hole:

"Cisco Connect Cloud does not actively track, collect or store personal
info" Correct, they believe they do it passively.

And why is "opt-in to updates" connected to a granting of rights about
personal data?

Automatic updates to fix security flaws is a desirable outcome. Producing
faulty goods and then withholding the ability to fix the fault without first
signing away privacy rights is WRONG WRONG WRONG. It sickens me to see this
kind of corporate behaviour.

Any provision in "bubble wrap agreements" (I like this term - first saw it
in MBevan's post) relating to the use of private data should be made illegal
in Australia for all services (think ISPs) and products (think boxes -
hardware, firmware, software, etc). Consumers need protection and to
overcome this encroachment  of our rights to privacy, the privacy law should
explicitly state that Australian consumers cannot sign away their rights to
privacy in any 'bubble-wrap agreement'.

There should be significant punitive damages attached to the breaking of the
law to discourage the collect of private data. Why significant punitive
damages?

Because:

.        it is hard to value privacy in straight economic terms and a
consumer's actual financial damages may be low or nil.

.        a consumer does not have the same financial resources to fight a
court case.

Maybe 'bubble wrap agreements' should become illegal as there is no ability
to negotiate changes. I'd feel much better if I could strike out clauses
relating to my private data while keeping the rest of the agreement as is.

Rod