[AusNOG] Wiki for network ops

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Oct 7 15:45:29 EST 2011

On 07/10/2011, at 11:34 AM, Dale Shaw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of building a new wiki as a repository for network
> ops type information (work instructions, configuration standards, site
> information, howtos, and so on).
>
> I've previously used MediaWiki and I guess it was "OK" but I'm
> interested in learning what other people are using for similar
> purposes. I was leaning towards DokuWiki, based on a friend's positive
> experience. We don't have any special requirements, I don't think.
> LDAP auth required, being able to PDF'ify articles would be nice.
>
> Does anything in particular stand out? What are the features of your
> wiki software that you really like?

We use DokuWiki internally, and I have to say it drives me nuts..  a LOT of the documentation I'm trying to manage in it is table-formatted, and DokuWiki's table abilities are fairly basic, to say the least..  I also don't know if it's just our install, but the 'remember me' tickbox when you login doesn't seem to do ANYTHING - I still have to login again, if I don't do anything for 15 minutes.

Its LDAP auth does make things 'easy' from a user-admin perspective, though if you're keeping network/server config and outage procedure info (say, upstream noc authentication details...) in there, if something big goes wrong, you can't access anything in the Wiki :(  Keeping a static export somewhere off-site is a Good Idea (TM) :)

--DG