[AusNOG] Wiki for network ops

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Fri Oct 7 13:56:03 EST 2011

On 07/10/11 10:34, Dale Shaw wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of building a new wiki as a repository for network
> ops type information (work instructions, configuration standards, site
> information, howtos, and so on).
>
> I've previously used MediaWiki and I guess it was "OK" but I'm
> interested in learning what other people are using for similar
> purposes. I was leaning towards DokuWiki, based on a friend's positive
> experience. We don't have any special requirements, I don't think.
> LDAP auth required, being able to PDF'ify articles would be nice.
>
> Does anything in particular stand out? What are the features of your
> wiki software that you really like?

For me the real value in a tool like this is not in the features but in
how you use it.  So the main criteria for me would be how well it's
going to be maintained, both by internal users in terms of its content,
and by external parties in terms of the code behind it.  For that reason
alone i would choose MediaWiki over the alternatives simply because
Wikipedia uses and develops it, so it has a very high probability of
continuing to be maintained well for many years into the future.
(Unless there are critical features missing from MediaWiki that are
essential for your deployment, of course - i don't know how good its
LDAP auth is...)

Paul