[AusNOG] Wiki for network ops

Keith Sinclair keith at sinclair.org.au
Fri Oct 7 16:07:08 EST 2011

Dale,

I have used a few different systems, and in fact installing Atlassian Jira/Confluence/Crowd/Fisheye for NMIS, an Open Source NMS project, this very minute.  Atlassian makes their tools free for open source projects. Not sure if your community will qualify as open source or not.
http://www.atlassian.com/software/views/opensource-license-request.jsp

 I used Jira and Confluence while I worked for Cisco and they excellent.  Confluence blends well between a CMS and Wiki with some Forum like features.  Jira just plain rocks for issue tracking.

I am currently also using Drupal for a few sites, which is very good, and might work for you, there is a forum add on, RPForum (among others) and the combo of Drupal with the RPForum was looking pretty good, I have that running on a  public website if you want to unicast me.  Drupal's strength is probably its

I really like MediaWiki, I find the way it presents pages and the auto-TOC's to be great.

A friend of mine swears by WordPress, apparently they had an injection of plugins developed for it.

My advice would be to run a couple up and try them out before you commit to one, there are so many nuances between them, it is really quite a personal preference decision, and unless you want to go through some functional and non-functional requirements analysis you might find trying them faster.

HTHs

Regards

Keith