[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Jan 31 12:26:19 EST 2011

On 31/01/2011, at 11:21 AM, Don Gould wrote:

On 31/01/2011 1:35 p.m., Damien Morris wrote:

The amount of arguments still taking place on nanog about v6 is making
this a bit of a concern.

They're mostly from people who don't appear to have done it.

We've got IPv6 dual stack for customers.  We sell ADSL CPE which supports IPv6 (and more of our current ones will in the next months).

The customers change their ADSL login from username at internode.on.net<mailto:username at internode.on.net> to username at ipv6.internode.on.net<mailto:username at ipv6.internode.on.net> on capable CPE and it just works. I'm tempted to get my 88 year old grandfather (who bought himself a Win7 laptop recently) a dual stack CPE just so I can say that it's that easy.

Most people have dual stack OSes these days so don't even have to do anything.

e.g: /48s vs /56s vs /64s for consumers, /64s vs /126s for PtP, SLAAC vs
DHCPv6, ND vs DoS attacks, DNS64/NAT64 vs "it'll never work"..

DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation is important.   The subnet size is, well, not very relevant, /64 is too small, but anything more is fine for almost anyone.
DHCPv6 hopefully will be supported by more OSes and that'll make life pretty easy.

Perhaps when it comes to IP it's possible to have too much of a good
thing? Or have most people worked it out and it's just the vocal minority
on nanog? :)

Too much noise, not enough doing as usual on NANOG.

MMC

Can't speak for everyone else, but the bitching is one of the main
reasons I've been ignoring the space and will continue until I see a
more clear path.

It's a bit like an OS upgrade.   You may consider that short sighted,
but it costs time/money to be first in and then have to rework
everything because of poor assumptions.

Personally I'm still looking for a clear path just for a simple SOHO set
up what will be robust.  However every time I toe in the water I get
drowned.

Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs
Internode /Agile
Level 5, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au<mailto:mmc at internode.com.au>    Web: http://www.on.net<http://www.on.net/>
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909      Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909