[AusNOG] IPocalypse eve?

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Mon Jan 31 11:51:55 EST 2011

On 31/01/2011 1:35 p.m., Damien Morris wrote:

> The amount of arguments still taking place on nanog about v6 is making
> this a bit of a concern.
>
> e.g: /48s vs /56s vs /64s for consumers, /64s vs /126s for PtP, SLAAC vs
> DHCPv6, ND vs DoS attacks, DNS64/NAT64 vs "it'll never work"..
>
> Perhaps when it comes to IP it's possible to have too much of a good
> thing? Or have most people worked it out and it's just the vocal minority
> on nanog? :)

Can't speak for everyone else, but the bitching is one of the main
reasons I've been ignoring the space and will continue until I see a
more clear path.

It's a bit like an OS upgrade.   You may consider that short sighted,
but it costs time/money to be first in and then have to rework
everything because of poor assumptions.

Personally I'm still looking for a clear path just for a simple SOHO set
up what will be robust.  However every time I toe in the water I get
drowned.