[AusNOG] "Sewer broadband provider dumped" - Brisbane fibre plan scrapped

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Wed Feb 23 14:22:42 EST 2011

On 23/02/11 14:15, Bevan Slattery wrote:
>>> Backhaul (Customer to PoI)                              $20/month/Mbps/month
>
>> I make it closer to $21/Mb/Month, but that's with no contention at all
>
> Yes and that's is the case also with the current DSLAM model I highlighted earlier.
>
>>  NBNco in their pricing are suggesting 100:1 oversubscription which would change these two to less then 25c per user. Something in between seems more likely.
>
> Completely wrong.  You are suggesting that you contend a single Mb/s to 100 users!  So a single 1Mb/s link can push around 320GB/month.  So if you contend it 100:1 you get 3.2GB/month of usage.  NBN is suggesting that users would get an average of just over 10Kb/s of bandwidth consumption.  I am saying on a 1TB (or 1,000GB) plan, which is where we are today and pushing beyond that in the next few years, where the users actually use 1,000GB they will also use an *average* of approximately 3Mb/s x $21/Mbps/month.

Er, *NBNco* are suggesting that (see the pricing PDF), I agree 100:1 is
probably completely unacceptable, although only a few years ago we were
doing ~4-8:1 *at peak* with education users.

Some oversubscription is obviously needed to have at all acceptable
pricing in the retail market.

Not being in the retail ISP business I have no idea what that number
would be.

>>> Backhaul (PoI to PoP)                                   $10/Mbps/month (don't know if DF will be available)
>
>> That's a strange stance to take, why wouldn't you expect dark fibre to be available, even if not initially very quickly thereafter.
>
> Assuming it does and even if the fibre was FREE, it still puts NBN Co. 12/1 with 1TB of data consumption (3Mb/s average usage) at $84/month versus $20/month.  Obviously you gain through users not using their bandwidth, but the reality is you can deploy a DSL tail with unlimited backhaul in metro for less than just a tail access on NBN without backhaul to even the nearest PoI, let alone to the PoP.
>
>> You're also ignoring the money needed to repay the DSLAM purchase, installation and maintenance.
>
> No I'm not.

Given that it's not a cost in the NBN side I think it's worth at least
mentioning.