[AusNOG] Cisco 9951 phones w/ SIP firmware

Christopher Pollock chris at ionetworks.com.au
Wed Dec 14 14:08:22 EST 2011

Hi Tim,

Not those phones specifically, but I did spent a lot of time getting
familiar with the 7940 and 7941 in an Asterisk environment a few years
back.  From what I remember, Cisco will sell you a support contract for the
phone that is pretty cheap, so you can just download everything you need.

Until these things boot, the biggest debugging tool you have is what files
it requests from TFTP.  If you can hack up a custom console cable, some of
their phones have a console or aux port you can cable into and get some
debug info out of.  If it actually boots, you can do some tricks with
authorized_keys files and/or the web interface to get debug stuff, detailed
in a blog post I made about my fun:
http://resolvehax.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-set-your-cisco-7940-and-7941-ip.html

My experiences with the 7941 are probably the closest to your 9951 as I
believe the configuration file formats etc are the same.

Unfortunately there's a lot of trial and error, and usually if the
configuration file itself has loaded and parsed successfully, then it's
actually a problem with the configuration, which is much harder to
identify.  For example some older versions of the firmware would accept
true, TRUE or 1, false FALSE or 0 in any boolean field, whereas later
they're more strict, etc.

The bright side is, once you get them configured just right, they tend to
work forever.  The down-side is, you're in for more haxing next time you
need to reconfigure it.

Cheers,
--
Christopher Pollock,